Mount Herbert Hotel Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Interning at Mount Herbert Hotel




Our intern Courtney will be sharing her insights and experiences of being in Ireland on our blog over the next few weeks. Here's her first post!


Hi everyone,

My name is Courtney and for the next 6 weeks I will be interning in the Finance Department at the wonderful Mount Herbert Hotel in Dublin. I will be entering my junior year in college in the fall, and I’m here through Boston University’s Dublin Internship Program with Dublin City University. In addition to my internship, I am taking a course in Irish History. Even though I’ve only been here for two weeks, I quickly discovered how easy it is to maneuver around this beautiful country. Living in Boston I know how difficult it can be to learn and navigate all the different bus and subway lines, so I have found transportation here surprisingly simple. One of the first things I noticed upon my arrival is that Dublin is a very compact city. Nearly everything is close or easily walkable. I am also quite amazed at how clean they keep the local streets, even though they are always full of tourists and people traveling to and from work. Street sweepers are constantly traveling up and down the roads collecting any dust or debris. For those considering coming to Dublin, I would highly recommend it. Not only is the city gorgeous, but the people are incredibly welcoming and friendly. Most are not afraid of starting a pleasant conversation with a stranger and love to contribute to the banter of a good laugh. Everyone I have met around Dublin and at Mount Herbert Hotel exude the kindness and warmth to make any visitor feel right at home!

For those considering coming to Dublin for only a few days, I would highly suggest the following:

  • Tour the Guinness Storehouse – Although self-guided, the tour is organized remarkably well. Not only do you get to learn how Guinness is created, but you also receive a free pint at their Gravity Bar.

  • Take a stroll through St. Stephen’s Green – If you get a nice and sunny day, walking through this beautiful green park is a great idea. You’ll be guaranteed to see many walking, relaxing, and picnicking.

  • Temple Bar – As one of the most famous areas in Dublin, Temple Bar is a must for any tourist. Listen to Irish music and take in the atmosphere of a traditional Irish pub.

  • Tour Trinity College – In the heart of Dublin center, Trinity College is Ireland’s oldest university. If you take a guided tour by a student at Trinity you can not only see the famous Book of Kells but also the college’s beautiful stone buildings.

  • Consider staying at Mount Herbert Hotel. It has a great location and wonderful amenities.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be providing details about my experiences while exploring Ireland. Hopefully, it will give helpful insight to those thinking about or planning a trip to visit the Emerald Isle!

No comments:

Post a Comment